Friday, August 23, 2013

Lady Skater Dress

 


 I first found out about the Lady Skater dress when working at camp a few weeks ago. It was nap time for the kids and I was really missing my sewing machine. While catching up on reading blogs I came across this pattern from Amanda of Kitschy Coo! I really liked the style and I've been wanting a casual dress for everyday wear, so I bought the pattern.

It's a pdf pattern and there are 3 different styles you can make - cap sleeve, 3/4 sleeve or long sleeve. After I bought the pattern I went on Girl Charlee and bought enough fabric to make myself a dress. I don't think it's in stock anymore, but it's called Silver Pin Dots on Charcoal gray and it is cotton lycra.
 
 
It's hard to tell from the picture, but the silver dots are raised, so I had to be careful when pressing seams. For the trim on the collar and sleeves, I just used the wrong side of the fabric.

The pattern was very easy to follow. Amanda was very helpful when I had a question about sizing because my bodice and waist measurements weren't the same. She also helped me figure out how to lengthen the skirt. As is, the skirt is meant to hit at knee length for someone who is 5'5". I'm a couple inches taller than that and I prefer my skirts/dress to fall below my knee. The skirt has a 1 inch hem and the length is perfect on me.



The dress uses clear elastic in the shoulders and waist seams to help with stablizing. This was my first time using clear elastic, but it was super easy to put in. One tip though: don't put your hot iron over the clear elastic. It might melt.

 
The dress went together pretty quick. I finished everything except the hem in a few hours. I used a twin needle on the hem for the first time, so I went slowly. Hemming is my least favorite part of sewing and usually I speed through them, but I wanted this one to look nice! I think it turned out well. It was hard to tell if I was catching the fabric underneath since you have to sew from the top. There are spots that go a little too far in, but overall it's pretty straight.
 
 
This is about how close I stayed to the edge for the hem.

 
I'm wearing this dress today and the fit is great! It's the perfect dress for summer and it will be great for fall too. I wore it to visit my aunt, and when I brought my siblings to the park. It's so comfortable and I already want to make another one! Thanks for making such a great pattern, Amanda!

~Elizabeth

6 comments:

  1. That turned out very pretty--I like the mini polka dots pattern! I've never yet sewn with that type of fabric yet, just plain old woven cotton. I'm nervous to try anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it ! I've had my eye on that pattern too. I can't wait to buy and make it! You did a great job on the twin needle - it is one of my favorite things for hems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely dress! Great job! Stopping by from Sugar Bee Crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cute! I really like grey, so this is right something I like :o) Emily@nap-timecreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dress looks wonderful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, ha You're right we made the lady skater in the same fabric! I love your short sleeve version. That fabric was impossible to press. I have some melted dot on my dress, oops!

    ReplyDelete